Thursday, December 31, 2020

 December 4, 2020

When I was a kid I was fairly accident prone. With 4 brothers and no sisters I was pretty much a tomboy. I played football and baseball and any other games my brothers would let me play. As a result I probably sprained every bone in my body one time or another. It got so bad my mom quit taking me to the doctor's because it was always the same..."It's just a sprain".
When I was in the fifth grade my family got into competition roller skating. We did freestyle, figures, speed racing, and dance. My brother, Keith was my dance partner. We actually got pretty good and took many first place awards over the years. We qualified for National meets several times but could never afford the trip back east to go with our big family.
Several years later the National meet actually came to our rink in California. We were so excited to finally participate in the coveted meet. To help raise money to be able to sponsor the meet our club decided to put on an exhibition show for a fee. Keith and I were to do a very fast dance with 3 other couples where we did a figure eight with two couples crossing in the middle with the girl going backwards. My oldest brother,
Larry Locken
was also in the dance.
So one day Keith and I and Larry and his partner were rehearsing the dance. When we came to the cross in the middle both boys were watching their feet instead of where they were going so both girls crashed into each other going very, very fast. Down we went with pain and some tears. Larry's partner's hand swelled right up and turned black and blue. We were sure it was broke. Mine didn't show a sign that anything was wrong, other than it hurt, oh, and I almost fainted. I could move my fingers and even make a small fist. So my mom didn't take me to the doctor.
About three days later my hand was no better so my mom relented and took me to the doctor's. Come to find out I broke my hand in two places. I was so proud that I was the first one to break a bone before ANY of my brothers.
I was more thankful for doctors who could set my bone and help me to heal.
Sierra Langford, Kylee Wilcox and 14 others
5 Comments
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment