Thursday, December 31, 2020

 November 18, 2020

Happy Birthday to my Wonderful, Hot, Marine, Husband.
I remember your first birthday right after we got married. We were stationed in Millington, Tenn. I took you to the base that morning so I could have the car and do something special for your birthday. I baked you a cake and decorated it and set it on the table in our very tiny mobile home. I picked you up and you went into change your clothes while I did the finishing touches on dinner. As I turned around to set the table I noticed a finger mark in the frosting. I thought it was cute that you stuck your finger in the cake to lick the frosting. I know how much you love frosting. I teased you about it, but you denied it. I knew I didn't do it so I couldn't figure out why you would deny it. We kind of got into a little argument about it. We finally decided we didn't want to argue...especially on your birthday, so we turned the cake around and cut it on the other side.
A few days later I complained about all the soot the oil heater was leaving around the house. I grew up in the city and had forced air heating so I was sure it was the oil heater. I showed you the soot and you informed me it wasn't soot at all but mouse tracks. Since I had never in my life seen a wild animal (except in the zoo) I didn't have a clue what a mouse track was and I looked closer and said, "I don't see any feet prints." After you explained what a mouse track was I was embarrassed. We bought a mouse trap, set it and went to bed. We had barely turned out the lights when the trap sprung. I was kind of excited because, like I said, I had never seen a wild animal before. AND the only mice I had ever seen were on cartoons and they ALWAYS got caught by the tail and were cute and wiggly. I wanted to see the mouse. Steve patiently explained to me why we put peanut butter in the trap and asked me what I thought the trap would do. Images of a dead mouse came to mind and I no longer wanted to see it. He went to dispose of the mouse and to his surprise it was caught by the tail! However, he still didn't let me see the mouse. He set it loose outside and we caught it again an hour or so later...not by the tail.
The next day we were finishing up the birthday cake and were at the finger mark in the cake. This time, as I looked closely at the finger mark, I DID see mouse foot prints in the frosting. So Steve was telling the truth!
He was and always is my hero! I love you FOREVER!!!
Image may contain: text that says 'HAPPY CAKE DAY!'
Sierra Langford, Shonee Langford and 18 others
12 Comments
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment