Monday, January 18, 2021

 Patriarchal Blessings



We read in the scriptures how the prophets of old would gather their children around them and give them a blessing when they were about to die. These are called Patriarchal Blessings. In our Church we can also receive a Patriarchal Blessing by one who is called of God and ordained to the office of Patriarch. 

President Thomas S. Monson once said, “Your patriarchal blessing is your passport to peace in this life. It is a Liahona of light to guide you unerringly to your heavenly home.”

I was only a new member in the Church when I received my Patriarchal Blessing. I didn't know the Patriarch and he didn't know me. I didn't fully understand the importance of my blessing in my life. I remember wondering if it was something that was said to everyone. I didn't realize that my blessing was unique to me. Everything seemed so foreign to me and I didn't fully understand what it all meant. I read it often as I was told to do, but still I felt detached from what it said.

Several years later I was really struggling with life. I had four small children and I'll admit, life was hard. I hadn't read my blessing in awhile so I read it again and still it didn't seem to help me with my current circumstances. I needed a "father's blessing". The Patriarch of our Stake lived near us and I was very fond of him and his wife. They were an older couple who kind of adopted our family. We loved them very much.

I want to him and asked for another blessing. He explained that there is only one Patriarchal Blessing for each individual. So I asked for a "Father's blessing" since my father wasn't a member of the Church. He said he would check with the Stake President. He was given permission and we scheduled a time for him to give me a blessing. His wife recorded it and they sent me a copy so I could refer to it. 

I learned a very valuable lesson. I thought I would receive a personal blessing just for me because he knew me so well. He knew of some of the trials I was experiencing. I knew he could help me.

The lesson I learned was indeed, Heavenly Father has a unique blessing for each of us. The blessing he gave me was nearly the same as my original Patriarchal Blessing. It was in his words and it updated a few of the things that had now actually come to pass from my original blessing, but the gist of the blessing was the same. I realized what my problem had been with my Patriarchal Blessing. I had not believed it was really MY blessing. After all, the Patriarch didn't know me so how could he tell me what was best for me? But Heavenly Father know me and He used the Patriarch as an instrument in His hands to tell me the blessing He had for me.

So now I knew it was MY blessing. It was for me to open the windows of heaven and help me with my personal growth. I immediately started studying my blessing, not just reading it. I folded a piece of paper in half and wrote on one side Counsel and on the other side Blessings. I went through both of my blessings and noted all the counsel I was given. Many times it is in the form of "If you do....then you will receive...". There was a lot! Next I recorded the "then" portion of those statements under the blessings column. There seemed to be even more.

I also gleaned the gifts and talents the Lord has blessed me with. When I first got my Patriarchal Blessing I could see those gifts or talents. But, several years later I was beginning to manifest those talents and I could recognize them. I could see that I had a roadmap for life and a way to return to my Heavenly Father. 

God has a work for each of us to do. We don't have to be a prophet or some "great" person. We just need to be the son or daughter God intends us to believe.  We all have a role to play in God's plan. He needs me and He needs you. I am so grateful for my Patriarchal Blessing and the direction it continues to give me each time I read and study it. It seems to change for me as I grow and change. It is my own personal revelation!

#givethanks

No comments:

Post a Comment