Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Empty Nesters Family Home Evening

We attended our first Empty Nesters Family Home Evening in our new ward. It was fun to see so many friendly faces we already new. We also met a few new faces. We dearly missed our old group. When they first announced FHE they put it on the first week and I thought we would be able to still attend our old group. Two weeks ago they switched it to the second week. Since we are trying to become a part of our new ward we felt we needed to attend.

Our group is made up of three different Empty Nesters groups. It appears the other two groups only did putluck dinners each month and that seems to be the way they want to go again. I enjoyed the potluck and we had a lot of fun going around the room learning a little about everyone, but I do hope we will have some lessons too. I LOVED our gospel discussions in our last group. We don't seem to have as many gospel discussions in our home now that all the kids are gone. We used have lots of teaching moments so the gospel was talked about alot. We haven't found our secret to gospel discussion since then. I'm open to suggestions.

I thought since I'm in the nursery we could have a weekly discussion on the Sunday School lesson that I miss each week. Steve always says it's really good, but can't seem to remember enough specifics to engage in a good discussion. I suppose I really should read the lesson too, then I can ask the questions in the lesson and maybe he can remember to share some of the answers that were given. We talk ABOUT having gospel discussions all the time, but we never seem to get around to actually talking about the gospel. How sad is that.

Back to FHE. We voluntered to have it at our house next month. Where am I going to set up enough tables to feed 25 to 30 people? They said they used to do theme meals. What theme should we do? I want to have a lesson too. Are they going to rebel at that? I'm a little nervous about this. Oh well, if they don't like it then I guess they won't have it at our house again.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you on the "when to have gospel discussions" topic. We have the same issues! Lately we've been talking about the lessons I am teaching every Sunday, but they are mostly related to marriage relationships. (To the Young Single Adults)

    I MISS the old FHE group. I was hoping it would still be functioning when we came back to the Ward...but then everything changed. (sigh) However, we have the YSA's here once a month and they always have a great gospel discussion, so that's nice.

    How do you fit that many people? Um...remove all the furniture from the living room???? I guess you'll have to split the group and have part in the dining area? Wow, good luck with that. I'd like to hear how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have some gospel discussions and as far as "theme" go...I think if you host it you can choose whether or not to do pot luck or just a dessert night or just snacks or nothing at all. Just let everyone know what you would like to do.
    I really enjoyed the evening, but it was getting long. It was great getting to know each other better. It should be a fun experience with this group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Companionship study. Schedule 15 or 20 minutes a day, or week, to sit down together and have companionship study. Between Sunday School and Relief Society/Priesthood lessons you should have enough topics and scriptures to study during that time.

    Kylee and I have talked about doing this but with the kids it's a little tricky. I've found for myself that the only way I get any personal studying done is to schedule it. If I plan on doing it someday, it never happens. I have to write it down in my calendar. My lunch time works best for me. I play a game of chess while I eat, my chess skills are severely lacking, and then I spend the rest of my lunch hour on church or school stuff. Reading lessons, scriptures, or preparing for Primary. It's been the only time slot that I've been consistent with my studying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you by googling FHE Empty Nesters...Just wanted to let you know I've self published my Family Home Evening for Empty Nesters and Singles book. If you are interested it's $10 and contains 52+ lessons and handouts on gospel topics, family history, provident living, relationships and self improvement. More details on my blog http://lettersfromlin.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-launch.html
    Thanks, Lin Floyd in St. George Utah

    ReplyDelete