Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Unpredictable Weather


The weather has caused me some grief lately. Don't get me wrong. I love the weather here. I love how the seasons change. I love seeing the sun and I even love the rain. I love that we get snow once in a while, too.

What I don't love is when the weather somehow cancels Seminary, especially when we find out later that it didn't NEED to cancel Seminary.

February is always unpredictable. The first part of the month we had beautiful, spring like weather and had high hopes that winter was almost over. By the end of the month we are experiencing ice and snow. Sunday night they were predicting temperatures below freezing after a fairly wet day, so naturally we expected a sheet of ice on the roads and unsafe conditions. With the hills and turns around here it can be a bit tricky if the roads are slippery. The call was made Sunday night to cancel Seminary. Well, Monday morning the roads were dry. Yes, it was cold, but we could have held Seminary safely. We are already behind several days because of snow days a while ago. Tuesday was good and I figured I could still get caught up by the middle of March.

Yesterday they predicted a winter storm; however the temperatures were warmer so they didn't think the snow would stick. I got up this morning and looked out to see clear roads. I got all ready for Seminary and left the house by 5:15 AM. It was snowing, but all was still good. It was a very wet snow and nothing was sticking. About half way to Church I received a text message so I pulled over to view it. School was 2 hours late and Seminary was cancelled! After about 15 or 20 minutes of texting back and forth between some students to make sure all kids were notified I headed back home. Not happy! I wanted to have Seminary! I have something very fun planned for the rest of the week and I want to make sure we will still be able to do it. Now I may not catch up until the END of March.

It has continued to snow all morning and I see now that the roads are covered. It probably isn't as safe anymore so I guess it was a good call for the schools. If I hope to get out of here and not get stuck, I had better leave for work now. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment