Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happy Birthday, MyLiege!

Yesterday was MyLiege's birthday. I reflected on her most of the day. I remembered her as my little girl. I see a lot of her in her own two little girls, both in looks and actions. I got to spend a couple of days babysitting those two little ones last week and it was a delight.

I had to laugh when I read her blog she posted a week or so ago about "one of those days". I remember a lot of those days when all the kids were little and I felt so very overwhelmed. She began her post with one of her girls peeing on the floor and said it was the one who should know better. Oh, did that bring back memories as she was that very girl so many years ago. Way back when Primary was during the week I was rushing around trying to get all four kids ready to go and grab all my lesson stuff because I was a primary teacher too. The rule in the house was everyone had to use the bathroom before we left the house. MyLiege refused and said she didn't have to go. Then, after I got the baby in the car and came back to get the rest of the kids out the door, she stood right in front of me and wet on the floor. Needless to say I did not handle it very well. We were also late to primary, and from then on I insisted they ALL use the bathroom before we went anywhere. NO EXCUSES.

Although I don't remember it, I suppose I probably did the same thing when I was a kid too. My mom always said you will get a kid just like yourself. So if MyLiege is just like I was then. I'm delighted we had her and I'm sorry for any and all the bad things she may have inherited from me; but, I think I must have been pretty fun too, because we enjoyed her so very much. (That was one big run on.)

We wanted to do something special for MyLiege for her birthday. We are headed over to her house for dinner this afternoon, so I probably won't post this until tonight so she can't read it before we get there. Steve suggested we make her something special (I can't say what it is because we may do it next year). I thought that was a great idea, but wish he had mentioned it a week or so before so I would have time to make it. Then I remembered something else she wanted. About a month ago, Steve found a beautiful sewing chest for me to replace an old, dilapidated one I had from my mother. I loved the one I had but it was falling apart and looked pretty beat up. MyLiege has loved that sewing chest and even tried to take it when she redecorated my house a few years ago. So we decided to fix it up. I transferred everything into my "new" sewing chest and then we went to work fixing and cleaning up the old one. Steve did a GREAT job and now it looks brand new. He replaced all the hardware. He re-stained the wood. He made a replacement brace for one that was broken. He painted all the trim pieces. It looks and feels brand new. I told him if he had done that before he wouldn't have had to buy me a new (used) one. It is hard to give away, but I know it is going to a good home and I can visit it whenever I want.

Happy Birthday, MyLiege!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment