Monday, January 2, 2012

New Beginnings


The new year is always a good time to take a look at who you are, where you have been and where you are going. We sometimes call them New Years Resolutions, but I prefer to think of it as a life evaluation.

I've been thinking about where I stand in my life right now. A lot of things have changed over the last couple of years and I have grown a lot. I have also hung on to several habits that I really need to loose. Some of these habits I have tried to loose many times over the years, but have not succeeded. I am going to try again.

I think part of the reason I have failed in the past is I left it up to strictly will power. For me, strictly will power never works for very long. I can do OK for a few days or even a few weeks and then I have a weak moment and give in to the habit again. Instead of accepting the minor set back and starting again, I give up and loose myself to my habit. I think this is my personality, because I do it time and time again with different habits. I really want to break that pattern.

I have made progress with one bad habit over the last several months. I have been involved in a weight loss program called Curves Complete for the last 3 months. I haven't lost all I have wanted, but I have lost steadily and consistently. I have had a day now and then where I have blown it, but I have jumped back in immediately and continued making progress. I hope that is an indication I can do that with my other habits as well.

One habit I really want to break is wasting time with playing Spider Solitaire on the computer. I certainly don't do it all the time, mainly because I'm too busy with work, seminary, and exercises. But when I feel I have a little "free" time I seem to waste it all on playing that game. I don't know why I do that. There are so many other things I would like to do with my free time, but never seem to do. Then I complain that I never have enough time to do other things.

I've decided to try a 5 minute blog approach. One of the things I never seem to have enough time to do is write my blog. I would always say, "Oh, I'll just play one game since I have a few minutes." But that few minutes so easily turns into 30 minutes or even an hour or more. I can write a short blog in a few minutes and it would be more beneficial and cleaning for me. I have so many things going around in my head that I need to express. My blog is a perfect place to get them out, ,ponder them, examine them, tweak them, change them, implement them into my life, or just let it all hang out.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. It will be great to see more blog posts from you. But beware, blogging eats up way more than five minutes. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. I look forward to more posts, since I don't get to talk to you that often. Congratulations on your commitment to working out. That's one that I struggle to consistently do. Everything else just seems to crowd it out of my life.

    ReplyDelete