Friday, May 15, 2009

Attitude

In just the few short posts I done to Cathartic Muses I have already seen an improvement in my outlook. I don't know if it is because the sun is shining or I'm blogging, but whatever the reason, life seems to have a brighter outlook. Maybe it is a combination of both.

With the nicer weather I have been walking again at lunch. It has been far too long since I have done that and it feels good to walk again. I am sure out of shape and really need the exercise. I work at a small airport so it makes for a very interesting walk to see all the small planes around. I occasionally see people working on their aircraft. I haven't got up enough nerve yet to stop and talk.

With blogging I find myself looking at my days differently. I wonder if this or that may make an interesting blog. Blogging is different than keeping my journal. For one thing I get to add pictures. I have a different mindset when writing. I want to make it somewhat interesting to the reader. With my journal I am writing to myself or some future generation who won't even know me. Yes, it is a way for them to get to know me, but my blog is for the here and now. Live readers with immediate feedback. In a way it is a little scary and in another way it is kind of exciting.

I think attitude makes all the difference in how we live. A poor attitude leads to poor quality of life and a good attitude leads to a joyful and happy life. Too often we let outside influences affect our attitude. Some of these outside influences we have no control over, such as the weather. Why should we let several rainy days make us blue? Other so called outside influences we have complete control over, such as choices we make, things we do, or how we react.

I have been very guilty of excusing my attitude based on outside influences. For example, I have been overeating for some time now. I gripe and complain about how overweight I am. I get downright depressed about it, but it is something completely in my control to do something about it. When I take charge of my attitude and do something about those things I can change, I feel better and happier. Consistency is the key. Walking one or two days is not going to let me loose 20 pounds. However, if I walk consistently and watch what I eat I stand a good chance of seeing 10, 20 or more pounds drop off over time. As I do that my attitude will stay more positive and I will feel more joyful and happy. That will also lead me to improving other areas of my life, such as more diligent scripture reading or more sincere prayers.

Now by putting this in my blog, I may be more inclined to keep it up, because it is out there for others to read and maybe even encourage me in my quest.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up Marmie!! Walking is active catharsis. I always feel clarity and peace after a good walk or hike. As far as eating, get smaller plates, take only one serving, and eat an interesting variety of foods so your palate stays satisfied. If you know you are doing the best you can for your body by healthy diet and exercise, don't even worry about how you may show up on the scale at the moment. It's a journey! You are taking steps in the right direction and you're on your way. Make it your lifestyle instead of a project and you won't feel like you aren't progressing. You will naturally and eventually shed the extra and become the most beautiful you possible. But know and understand that you are beautiful now too! Take walks with Daddy after dinner, it helps with the digestion. The summer is a perfect time to get into a habit of exercise because we have so many long sunny days. Embrace this three months as your springboard to healthy living. If you want, you can report to me, and I'll report to you!

    ReplyDelete