Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Time



Why is there never enough time to do the things I want to do? I have been trying to post a blog for weeks now but.... They say computers can save so much time doing things for you. Well I'm on computers all day and I don't ever have any more time available from all the time I supposedly saved. Where did it go?

I take 1/2 hour for lunch each day. I have about 3 hours worth of stuff I want to do in that 1/2 hour. I try to walk at least three times a week. It is also the time I have to write my blogs. It is also the time I have to read other's blogs.

I finally took the plunge and joined Facebook. Not knowing exactly what Facebook was I went ahead and clicked on most of the people it suggested to be my friends. After all I knew them. It would now take me days to read all the facebook entries that show up on my home page. How do I get rid of "friends" so I don't have to wade through all the frivolous entries to finally find one with some substance?

I also like to use my lunch hour to work on my lesson for Sunday. As you can see 1/2 hour a day doesn't go far enough to do all the things I want to do. What about evenings, you say. Well, after work I really want to get on the elliptical machine and exercise for 1/2 hour. That doesn't always happen. I sometimes still have to work at home. If I don't have to work, I have visiting teaching or Temple or some other meeting to go to. Occasionally, there isn't anything planned and I just want to watch a little TV.

What are the favorite things I would rather do with all the time I should be saving by working on computers so much? Mainly I would love to visit and play with grand children. I would love to go to lunch with family and friends. I would like to curl up and read a good book. I would like to sleep more. I think I would even like to travel and see new things.

Well, it is time for me to save more time so I had better get back to my computer.

4 comments:

  1. My kids have been suggesting that I join Facebook for quite a while and I keep telling them NO! I would probably have too good of a time with it and spend even more hours on my computer than I need to. Good luck juggling it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find there is a lot more substance in the blogs than in the facebook posts. I've got to figure out how to weed out the frivolous ones to see if there are any with substance. And that doesn't count all the gazillion emails I now get from facebook asking me to be friends with tons of people. Most I know, but there are a bunch that are friends of friends of friends that I've never even heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The facebook barrage will slow to a trickle of emails in a few days, once you've answered all of them. Or ignored them. As for weeding out frivolity, I think there's a setting where you can say you don't want to see updates, and you will only see when someone specifically writes to you, or about a comment you've made on a page. That way people can still find you on facebook, and write on your wall or send a message to your facebook email, but you won't have to know what so-and-so is making for dinner, or how long so-and-so's haircut took, or what whoever's dog just did on the carpet. It's on your profile page, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I totally agree that blogs are more informational, and more intentional.

    ReplyDelete